Sunday, October 30, 2011

Rememberance


I decided to go to church with my beloved today.  The sermon touched on death, those that passed on and what is heaven like.  I find it interesting at this time of year – Halloween – Samhain – ancestor remembrance; when the veil is thinnest, that what is uppermost in our collective conscious is the same no matter what path we follow.  I love how these spiritual threads pervade so many belief structures, reemphasizing how we are all connected and closer than we want to believe sometimes. 

While not a follower of Celtic traditions I do feel this time between now and the Winter Solstice is a ‘time of no time”.  A time I will spend reflecting, waiting, journeying toward the Duat. I will however honor my Deities and my ancestors tonight.  I honor all that came before me but this year I have chosen as a special remembrance my maternal grandparents – who were of Native American descent and my father who was Irish.  I have decided on a simple arrangement this year – focusing on the gratefulness and commemoration.



My father and my grandmother I recently lost and have chosen fruits they loved.  For my grandmother the wonderful red apple she convinced me was the perfect food for a snack, a trip up a tree to read for the afternoon or at night on the porch watching the stars.  For my father I have offer the oranges he loved to eat on the front steps every late summer when I was a child while listening to my youthful hopes and dreams.  My grandfather taught me so much just by example, common sense, conversation and actions how could I not know now what he was imparting from his heart to his oldest grandchild?

Many blessings, much thanks and deep love today.  May your celebration and remembrance be what you need it to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment